Museum of the City of New York

The museum had a lot to offer regarding historical data. First off the museum was intriguing to me in that it wasn’t like the more typical museums where there are a lot of rules and you can’t touch anything. To an extent touching was encouraged (except for the architectural models), people were sitting on the couches in the ‘apartment’ and Nicholas even got to play around with the chair and make it a ladder. Although the museum gave off a very homey environment and in my opinion fostered a certain amount of learning to an extent, I don’t feel the ideas it was presenting were very practical.

Regarding the small room for one person/community living, personally I thought it was a good idea and wouldn’t mind at all living in a room like that. But, one must take into account the cost of the apartment. Someone who’s in college isn’t going to have enough money to shell out for an apartment. Especially because the real estate agents are going to try and sell off a community aspect to it so they can try and get more money out of the student. With that regard the student might just rather pay for a dorm because he’ll still get that community aspect but he won’t have to pay as much.

As for the elderly, the tour guide mentioned that this type of house can be used for the elderly who’ve lost a spouse and live alone. That sounds like a horrible idea because although there are elderly with apartments to themselves, all that extra room kind of acts like an invite to their grandchildren and family to come visit them. If you take that away and leave them in a small enclosed room some family members might not go visit then because there is simply no place to stay in the room.

Finally, and this relates to the paragraph before regarding the elderly there is no place for visitors. Granted there will probably be a lobby as mentioned in the tour, or a place for the tenant to chill in a community type atmosphere, if one of his friends wants to crash by his house for the night it becomes a hassle to do so. Also, the tour guide mentioned that certain commodities will come with the house such as indoor sports as well as outdoor sports to an extent how much extra will this cost. Even ignoring the money for a moment how will this be organized will the facilities get in the way of everyone’s everyday schedule and how much ‘sport time’ are you allowed to have.

Personally, I would not mind to live in such an atmosphere it looked like a fun place to live from my perspective. However, in order for me to be completely sold on the apartment I’m going to have to learn a lot more about how the house/facilities function and how much the rent will cost for such a place. So, in theory it sounds like a good idea in theory but there still remain a few questions about the apartment that need to be answered.