“Government Can’t Help? Tell that to the South Bronx” response

Today, some people lost confidence about American government because recently our country seemed to be having some problems with economics as well as warfare. We still haven’t completely recovered from economic recession; at the same time we are still having wars with Middle East country. People kind of lost their faith on government. The New York Times article “Government Can’t Help? Tell that to the South Bronx” really surprised me.

The article talks about how government helped to rebuild some parts of the city, such as South Bronx. Personally, I have never been to South Bronx, but it is surprising to know the changes that South Bronx has gone through. According to the article, places that were full of burnt-out buildings now had completely transformed into clean streets with new buildings. It is pleasant to see that our government didn’t forget about these undeveloped parts of the city.

When we are talking about the glamorous parts of New York City, most of us referred to central part of Manhattan. Yet, there were many other places seemed liked to be forgotten by the city. There were parts of area where people lived in bad conditions, for example the holes in Willet’s Point. By comparing areas like Willet’s Point with Downtown Manhattan, one can easily see the differences. It is difficult to find any similarities between these two places.

My favorite line from this article is by a 53-year-old woman, named Celida Pinet. She said, “The era of government may be in danger. But it saved the South Bronx.” I think that we shouldn’t gave up on our government, because during era of crisis, we have no choice but to trust them, and work with them. The government can’t help everyone at the same time, but they are making effort in constantly improving our life.

After reading this article, I find it to be very hopeful that our city will keep improving. Our government not only cares about the developments within those popular sites, but also unpopular areas with mainly residents. Our research projects are also about government projects. And I am very excited to see these projects to be built.