Building the Frontier Myth/Neighborhood Effects in Changing Hood

Although I do not have a strong opinion about gentrification, I believe that the success of gentrification depends heavily on the people of the neighborhood. Freeman mentions that to create mixed communities gentrification has the greatest potential. Most gentrification would be of middle class people moving to relatively poor neighborhoods. (126) By creating mixed communities, the neighborhood would rise in value and attraction, thus benefiting the lower-income families. In a review of literature, gentrification gives hope to “improving the housing stock, increasing the tax base,…improving quality of services.” (126) Although it is wonderful to improve a relatively poor neighborhood, it feels as though changing the neighborhood slowly forces previous lower-income residents to leave. If the lifestyle of the neighborhood increases in value, lower-income families would not be able to afford to continue living there.

Freeman mentions that gentrification would help with social ties, and thus would help the lower-income families move up in socially. With middle-income families moving into neighborhoods with lower-income families, the lower-income family would have a chance to obtain information that would help with jobs and other financial activity. However, there was not much change in mobility, because of limited access to resources. (146) Although some women were able to receive benefits through socializing, there was not much change that would benefit the families long-term. I do not think that social ties would do much for lower-income families, especially in our current period. From my experience living in several apartments, there is not much conversation with neighbors. So, in today’s time I do not think that social ties would be a benefit from gentrification.

Smith mentions many neighborhoods in New York City transformed through gentrification, which are now some of the most mainstream areas of Manhattan. He first mentions the Lower East Side and the account of a couple moving down to Ludlow street. This couple had never even heard of Ludlow street before moving in, indicating how infrequently they visited the Lower East Side. Presently, the Lower East Side is filled with many people and businesses. This illustrates how gentrification turned out successful in this neighborhood in increasing attraction.

In addition to the Lower East Side, Smith mentions SoHo that was gentrified in that 1960s and 1970s. In the past SoHo was an area filled with artists lofts and galleries. It also had many unique stores that demonstrated gentrification with the unique products it sold, such as Navajo rugs. Now, SoHo is a shopping destination with many retail stores lined up along Broadway. I find it hard to imagine SoHo gentrified, but do not find it hard to believe that it had been gentrified. With all the chain retail stores in the area, I find it believable that the neighborhood was gentrified.

From Smith’s article, I found out that two neighborhoods in New York City were gentrified. However, I feel that presently this gentrification has raised the costs of living in the area. In a way these two neighborhoods could be considered hubs, which would result in increasing cost of apartments in the area. Thus, this would provide more space for middle-income families and force lower-income families to move out.

This entry was posted in Class #19 on by .

About Sharon Lin

Hi! My name is Wai-yu Lin, but I go by the name Sharon. I love going to different places, trying different foods, and meeting new people. I like to cook and swim on my free time. I enjoy watching television shows and Asian dramas.