Letter to America

October 4, 1895

Dear Robert,

I have come to find myself in one of the most extravagant eras and settings in all of music. Paris est incredible. Il est superb. Je l’adore. If I had a chance to see the amazing city that is sooner, I would have. I have seen some of the greatest symphonies ever produced. I have even seen Stravinsky, who, despite some letdowns, inspired me to compose some of my proudest pieces.

I have in fact stumbled upon some rather less than extraordinary pieces from composers who believe they know the entirety of music through and through. They overly exaggerate parts of Bach and Beethoven and childishly label their works as works of art. Rubbish, completely. To understand music, I believe you must admit to yourself you know absolutely nothing about it. It is still in its infancy and thus, should be treated as such. I hope the fools do learn their lesson eventually.

As for the art… well what dare I say? France is home to many of the world’s most famous works. However, I must say that I do not have nearly as much appreciation for paintings as I do for music. Music has the power to conjoin every aspect of art within the frame of a single piece: drama, elegance, serenity, joy. It has the power to elicit so many things within minutes of performance. I cannot bear to think what I may be if I had not chosen this path in my life, which brings me to my next point.

I have had the most absolute joy in being able to perform with Paris’ greatest orchestras. In fact I have been able to be seated as one of their first violinists — ah — it is my dream come true. I know you have longed so greatly to have such opportunities as this. Perhaps you could find your spirits lifted in taking a journey here to explore? Whatever you do, know that I am always here to support you in your endeavors.

It has been far too long to not be in my home, America, so I truly hope that you are eagerly awaiting my return as much as I eagerly await to see you. While my time in Paris has been wonderful and an experience not oft forgotten, I do feel a bit nostalgic and homesick for my native land. Be sure to meet me when I arrive in two months, so that I may greet with the utmost esteem.

Sometimes I gaze from the top of the Eiffel Tower, hoping to see the other side of the world, missing it dearly.

Sincerely,

Noah Silversmith