Letter to America- Alexander Amir

My Dearest Ava,

You were right! Paris is even more beautiful than you described.  I saw the view of the city by night as I stood atop the Eiffel Tower, gazing out over the Park and the city lights. The catacombs were dark and musty and I can see why you were a little creeped out by them. And the Louvre was a masterpiece in and of itself. Da Vincis, Michelangelos, and Raphaels dotted the walls, floors, and ceilings, and the intricacy of the sculptures and frescos took my breath away. I only wish you could be here to enjoy it with me.

With all of the beautiful sights I almost forget about my work! I’ve been spending a few weeks at a time performing for various orchestras and shows. My favorite group to play with was the Orchestre de Paris. I was part of the first violin section when the legendary Joshua Bell played Mendhelsson’s Violin Concerto.  From the very first arpeggiation in E minor through presto coda I was mesmerized.  We also played Stravinsky’s Firebird (much better than I played it in my high school orchestra I might add) and Ravel’s String Quartet, which was a real technical challenge to my pizzicato, flautando, and trill. Soon after I proved my worth, they had me perform Pablo Sarasate’s Zigeunerweisen, as an homage to Claude Debussy’s love of gypsy music.

Lastly, you remember my dream of playing in a Broadway orchestra? I believe I dream no longer after I worked with the Opera National de Paris. The voices were absolutely astounding, harmonizing so beautifully with the strings and winds. It was a pleasure to actually play Bizet’s Carmen and Mozart’s Marriage of Figaro, both pieces that I have played with my high school orchestra in the past, with live singers and acting. It was a breathtaking performance, and hopefully one day we will be able to enjoy it together.

I hope all is well with you and your family. Tell me how your work is progressing?  Do you think of me? My work has taken much of our time but it is finally coming to fruition, and the day is in sight that we can both move here for good and make the lives for ourselves that we have always dreamed.

All my love,

Alexander