It is such a significant experience to have personally researched a scientific journal and watched all the other educational and profound presentations made by classmates. Not only I have gained knowledge of different creative healthcare innovations that are introduced to better people’s lives, but I also have concluded some essential elements needed in popular media reports in order to appeal to a broader audience and yet remain scientifically sound.

If I had to author an article in a comparable periodical on a scientific paper, I would certainly make sure to include some graphs that show the statistical information of my scientific topic. Any scientific discovery, to my understanding, involves multiple times of conducting experiments and collecting data before being published. Therefore, to make sure the credibility of my scientific paper, I would definitely include the statistical numbers since it is also my respect to the public audience who put their trust in me. Additionally, I would also make sure that the article has been consistently objective throughout because scientific articles, unlike personal narrative, are very serious and profound. The content has already been so abstract and the scientific jargon has already been so sophisticated, so it is more appropriate that we don’t express our own thoughts to further confuse the audience into thinking if that is the writer’s feeling or the researchers’ who perform such experiment.

From the presentations that I have seen, I believe that an effective popular media report, in order to best represent the scientific research, should contain mixed parts of interview with the primary scientists, quotes from them, and the paraphrase to show the writer’s understanding of the scientific journal. By including these three elements, the writer will be able to cater to the public audience more by demonstrating the authenticity of the report. And this is what I have realized after browsing through different popular reports.

Furthermore, I did not realize it at first, but later came to notice from some classmates’ presentations that including some related video clips might   also be a useful strategy in catering to the audience because nowadays as the technologies are getting so advanced, we are more likely to be attracted by the use of the internet rather than just be educated orally. Therefore, I found out that it could be a helpful tool in making a PowerPoint and delivering a presentation in the future.

It was a fascinating and informative experience in general!