Doing an experiment in the lab on Wednesday was such an amazingly magical experience. I had not had much scientific background and knowledge, but I really got hooked on to this experiment of creating aspirin, especially yielding the right result at the end after being so confused the entire time. It was so interesting and eye-opening to see the color of our aspirin magically turning yellow and to witness how science is able to play a vital part in our lives.

Furthermore, I believed that we wouldn’t just have an experiment for fun. Indeed, it emphasized all the concepts that we had been introduced for the past few weeks, including following scientific methods of doing an experiment, collecting and analyzing data, and facing a series of scientific uncertainty. Throughout the experiment, we have been observing our surrounding and environment by familiarizing ourselves with different experimental felicities, collecting data by measuring the amount of distilled water and timing the process, and questioning each step while following the procedures at the same time. Obviously conducting a scientific experiment requires us to be emotionally prepared to face a series of difficulties, and due to the uncertainty, we will be able to motivate ourselves to get over the challenge and discover something meaningful.

In addition, this experiment also has significant impacts on both scientific projects that we are performing: BioBlitz and 3D printing. I learned the importance of collecting data and following the instruction in my BioBlitz project. On the other hand, for my 3D printing, this experiment of creating aspirin enhanced my understanding of the amazingness and significance of healthcare innovation. Therefore, it inspires me to actually put my effort and time into this innovation development that we have.

It was such a meaningful experiment, and I had lots of fun despite the fact that I was so confused throughout.