Final Paper Reflection

It was definitely easier said than done. When I first came up with ideas and plan for my ideal college, I got excited to create such a college. However, I realized that it was too idealistic and there was no way I can construct such institution despite the generous donation of $100 million. I originally wanted my college to be a combined medical/health program with all the students being part of either BA/MD, BA/DDS, BA/PA, BA/RN, and BA/Pharm D. Some colleges in New York have one of these programs but there was no college that had all. And as I worked on this project, I realized why a college like that would not exist. It would cost too much to begin a partnership with a medical school, pharmacy school, PA school, etc. and aside from money, not a lot of these graduate schools would want to save up seats for those who were selected in high school.

Through research, I realized Touro Institution had several divisions in the health industry such as medical school, during school, dental school which they opened in 2016, pharmacy school and many more. Touro College was also running an online undergraduate program so the idea of creating another undergraduate division of Touro College might make my idea to possible. Being a division of Touro College would naturally gift a partnership with the rest of the divisions which would allow certain combined programs to be created.

Based on this, I created the Touro Hainline College of Queens to focus on higher education for students who are interested in pursuing careers in the health industry. THCQ can help you succeed with its small classes, dedicated faculty and beautiful campus in addition to all the opportunities available in New York City. Touro Hainline College of Queens is a non-profit private institution that provides a firm foundation in the liberal arts and sciences, which is designed for well-roundedness of the individual. The core curriculum is, however, more concentrated on the sciences since the college is dedicate to the pre-health professional programs that support career aspirations in the health field. THCQ promotes academic freedom and warmly welcome students from all backgrounds and circumstances. It strives to cultivate the future leaders of New York.

To integrate my original idea into the college I created several special programs that partner with currently existing institutions for the students.

4+4 Programs:

BA/MD– This is an eight year honors program where students accepted will Complete their undergraduate portion in THCQ and matriculate into New York Medical College if all requirements are met.

BA/DDS- This is an eight year honors program where students accepted will     complete their undergraduate portion in THCQ and matriculate into Touro College of Dental Medicine if all requirements are met.

Special Option FlexMed:

Students who are not in the combined programs may apply to any health profession graduate school of Touro College during their second year and can be offered a seat in those schools based on High School GPA, SAT Scores, First year GPA, extracurricular activities, recommendation letters, and essays. Those who are offered a seat must maintain the required GPA and receive the minimum required standardized test in order to secure their spot.

EO-Permit

Students can apply for EO-Permit to take “Touro College Online Courses”. Students can receive up to 28 credits from this undergraduate division system of Touro College.

This project allowed me to look into the different types of colleges around New York and I’m glad that I’ve found a very interesting institution that is somewhat similar to that of CUNY.

Have a great summer!