Contes D’Hoffman

If you want to see a spectacular, entertaining, enjoyable performance, then Contes D’Hoffman is definitely the performance to see. The stage was an unbelievable sight during all three acts of the opera. I especially loved the stage design and costumes at the end of the first act, when Olympia was dancing for the patrons of Spalazzi’s. The bright colors and glittery set were absolutely amazing. Additionally, the singing and dancing made the opera even more enjoyable.

As my first opera, I had no idea what to expect. I am happy, however, that Contes D’Hoffman was the first opera I saw. I love to see performances that are loves stories, and this performance had three. Since we read about it in advance, I understood the main themes in the opera, and was able to better understand the story line as it was unfolding during the performance. The first act was easiest to follow, especially since we read the specific story of Olympia before we saw the performance. I didn’t particularly like looking back and forth from the stage to the subtitles on the seat in front of me, so I ended up mostly watching only the stage during the performance.

Although at times it was difficult to follow the opera, mainly because it was in French, it still appealed to people of our generation. I thought some of the costumes were a bit too revealing, but this was mainly a result of the director’s aim to please a younger audience. During the scenes in the bar, when the women came out practically naked, I was wondering if Offenbach pictured these costumes (or lack thereof) when he wrote the opera. Throughout the rest of the show, the women wore beautiful dresses and gowns, very different from the old fashioned, conservative costumes I had envisioned for operas. At certain times during the performance, the costumes even started to remind me of a Broadway show, mainly due to the loud, vibrant colors.

Antonia, Hoffman’s lover in the second act, had a soft, beautiful voice, and a gentle costume to match. Its neutral, light color displayed her innocence and soft nature. This was a wonderful contrast to the character of Olympia who was a robot. The character of Antonia sang from her heart and wanted to pursue her passion even though her father would not allow her too. On the contrary, Olympia did exactly what her father told her to do, since her father programmed her and she had no mind of her own.

We learned in class that different people enjoy different aspects of the opera, and I personally liked looking at the stage and listening to the music, even if I didn’t always know what the performers were singing. I still find myself singing Klick, Klack. Klick Klack.

I thought every single performer was incredibly talented. The singer who played Hoffman carried the entire performance. I was happy that most of the singers acted and moved around as they were singing, and were not just blocked and doing the “park and bark.” I remember distinctly waiting outside for the opera to start and saying that I wanted to see a performance at the ballet. I’m happy to say that I was able to see the dance performance I had been hoping to see. I couldn’t help but smile when the characters performing the part of Olympia came onto the stage on pointe. The dancing performed by the main Olympia at the end of the first act could have been a dance performance all on its own.

Overall, I am happy that I had the opportunity to see this opera and am looking forward to returning to Lincoln Center to see another opera.

This entry was posted in 05. Contes D’Hoffman, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.