Blog #5 Contes D’Hoffman

Opera.  Breathtaking. Unbelievable. Extraordinary. And most importantly, free. Never had I imagined that something so high-class and over-the-top would be suited for me. It was like my first bite of Chicago deep-dish pizza. How could it compare to the standard New York thin crust pizza that I’m used to? It was like entering another dimension of complexity and bewilderment. Something I would never have tried without some sort of enticement. Free tickets did the job that night.

The opera was astounding and the memories of that night are still ringing bells as I write. Honestly, I would very much like to see another opera soon. I hope that the Macaulay Honors College can fund this one too. It would make it that much more enjoyable.

Contes D’Hoffman was a masterpiece. Especially the setting, it was artistically crafted, much like a perfectly baked French pastry. It was kind of like the croissant, the French’s gift to us Americans. Layers of flakey dough carefully folded and brushed with buttery goodness…

LOL. I am so getting ahead of myself. I apologize for my obsession over all things food.

I’ll stop before I start sounding like a food blogger, if I don’t already.

I admit that wasn’t necessarily a good allusion, but it did serve some purpose. The opera was in French after all, which I might note, did not cause any trouble for me at all and on the contrary, kept me more focused. Putting that aside, I really did enjoy the aesthetics of the stage and how the director chose to portray the each act. My favorite scene would have to be the introduction, when the curtains were first pulled open. The notes falling from the ceiling and onto the floor was so dramatic. It was a simple concept, as simple as tossing paper into the air, but it was so damn beautiful. However, I only started to really appreciate the vastness of the stage during Act II. Conceptually, I couldn’t imagine how one stage could fit an entire scene and actually make it look authentic. The barren forest was stunning. I did not care for the descending violin or trees, but the way the actors looked as they walked upstage was electrifying. It really did look like they were walking through a winding forest.

The production really did speak to me. I could feel the energy of the actors although I could not immediately understand them. They accentuated the hilarity of certain scenes and imposed seriousness on the audience when it was necessary. I really felt taken in by what feelings the actors were trying to convey. Whether it was ironic humor and dancing hunchbacks singing “flick flack” or public humiliation and robots that could dance ballet, the emotions of that night gave me goose bumps.

The theme was relatable to everyone in the audience, including both the older and younger generations. The story of love and heartbreak is something that transcends time. It is immortalized and is something that is brought up in everyday conversation. To live, learn, and love is what people are all about. Through our artistic culture and social backgrounds we emphasize and glorify stories of love, whether they result in success or failure.

Man it just so happens that every time we see a performance I wind up hating someone. I hated him.  I can’t really say whom because I don’t know his name. But I’m sure everyone knows whom I’m talking about.

Contes D’Hoffman really did show me how one man’s misfortune is another man’s opportunity.

This entry was posted in 05. Contes D’Hoffman, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.