Heaven & Hell, All in One City

Living in New York for my entire life has had a huge effect on my perspective of life. The sad truth is that some people in this world are living in conditions that I could honestly say would probably be just as bad as Hell, if not worse. For others, I wouldn’t say that they are living in Heaven, but they are definitely living the life that some people could only dream about. So why is it that New York City has bestowed such profound knowledge upon me? Incredibly, it’s that these two worlds, Heaven and Hell, are able to coexist within the confines of this amazing city.

Simply surviving in New York City is a challenge. The rents are higher, merchandise is more expensive, the people are more aggressive, and the pollution takes some getting used too. Despite the challenges us New Yorkers face in persevering, the rewards are invaluable. Exploring just a small fraction of the city will reveal numerous opportunities that wouldn’t be found anywhere else in the world. People have been traveling to America, specifically New York, for hundreds of years with the hope of reaping the benefits found on the streets made of gold, and continue to do so to this day. However some must heed to this very important warning; those who cannot face the challenges of surviving in New York City will be roaming the depths of a ruthless inferno. New York City will not hesitate to eat you up alive.

Regardless of how bad New York City can be, I don’t think I could live anywhere else. Growing up with the natural beauties of the parks, the man-made beauties of the skyscrapers towering above me, the mix of cultures, the fast-pace, and a city that never sleeps has basically spoiled me. Heck, I’d even stay just for the twenty-four hour transit system, regardless of how much I hate it sometimes. Living in a city that doesn’t run at night would kill me. Last weekend I visited Philadelphia and I was going insane. Every restaurant closed before 10 P.M. and all I wanted to do was sit down to a nice dinner with some old friends. Not to mention that the transit system is nowhere near as efficient as it is in New York despite how the buses are always late. Even the mere pace of Philadelphia was getting on my nerves. Living in such a slow paced city for a weekend made me very lethargic. All of my diligence and willingness to work disappeared until I was dropped back into the wonderful, disgusting streets of New York City I call home.

Personally, I have experienced a taste of both the heavenly and hellish aspects that lives within New York City. When I was born, my life couldn’t be better. I had a happy, healthy family, my father had a great job that supported all five us, we had a beautiful house, and money was never really a factor that afflicted us. Unfortunately, happy families don’t always stay happy… When I was about thirteen years old, my parents went through a heartrending divorce that led to the loss of my home, broken family ties, and a lot of financial issues due to five years of lawyer fees. Not to mention that the loss of my father’s job did make things much better. I saw my life falling apart before my eyes and for good couple of years I was scared. I was scared we weren’t going to make it. New York was beginning to show how tough it could be to live in and we were hanging on for dear life trying not to be devoured alive. However, being the strong-hearted New Yorkers that we are, my father and I did not give up. My dad was able to find a job that could support us and I was able to do my part by obtaining a scholarship that allowed me to attend college for free (thanks to Macaulay)! When it comes down to it, true New Yorkers know that when the going gets tough, the tough get going.

I have to admit, I’ve never lived in slums, begged for money on the streets, or scavenged for food through dumpsters; nor have I lived in the beautiful pent houses, had all the most expensive merchandise, or had my own personal limo driver to take me across the city. Even though I have never truly experienced the full potential of the Heaven and Hell found within New York City, I have had a taste of how hard and how wonderful it could be to live in the greatest city in the world. No matter what happens, New York City will always be my Eden.

This entry was posted in 11.Eden/inferno, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.