Yupp, that just happened.

You guys should know by now that I basically procrastinate on well just about everything. Instead of writing this blog Friday, I baked a cake and then went to sleep. Instead of writing this blog on Saturday, I went to my brother’s birthday party and then got into a car accident. Instead of writing this blog this morning, I..well…i slept. So, now I sit here at 11PM, an hour before this blog is due watching Zombieland with our beloved Jesse Eisenberg and still avoiding writing about the actual subject of this blog. Deep Breath. Here we go:

I’m going to be honest, I hated this course for the first few weeks into the semester. Who blogs every week and then takes random pictures of landscape and abstract objects? Weird. I had a rough start too. Looking back now, my first blog was literally about 5 sentences. I just laughed out loud at myself. I was quite pathetic and not willing to try. Once I met Healey though, not trying clearly wasn’t an option. You win, Healey, you actually got me work at 9AM on Monday morning.

Now to the actual course itself. I loved every single topic we learned about in this seminar. I do admit that going to the plays and finding my way through the city was the most fun. Unfortunately, before this class I never really explored the city. I stuck to Times Square, Soho and Astor Place. Lame, right? Before Anthony Caro on the roof, I hadn’t been to the Metropolitan. I’m a horrible New Yorker, I know. I was also ridiculously handicapped when it came to using the subways. I could function perfectly anywhere in Queens with public transportation, but Manhattan was like a completely different world. I gained so much perspective about the what streets connect to others and even he subway system.

When I stop and think about this course, the one thing that comes to mind is In America. The story told through this movie was such a touching sad one that I can’t help but always relate it to this course. The message was so strong. Every single immigrant has a back story. It doesn’t matter if it is or isn’t wrong that they’re here illegally, the point is that they are human beings too. Human beings with possibly dark pasts and hopeful futures. In America was seriously one of the most touching things I’ve ever seen. I think that it is quite possibly the movie with the clearest message we saw all semester. Clear doesn’t make it any less meaningful though. I took the most from this movie than I did anything else. While it was a clear message of immigration, it was also about a racial tension between Ariel and Johnny, the relationship between a husband and wife after a serious loss, and even about growing up after a family tragedy. It was clear that every character in this film has a distinct part that was necessary to its story. I seriously couldn’t get enough from the movie, I absolutely loved it.

That being said, my least favorite thing from this semester was (dundundun) Do the Right Thing. I feel like Spike Lee could have delivered his message in a less…how can I word this without being rude?…ridiculing manner. I mean, maybe that was the point. Make every character as obnoxious as you can, hit the climax, and then end a movie with someone doing the wrong thing? Cool, iI guess, if you’re into that sort of thing…

So this is it. Good bye Arts in New York City, I will probably never be this cultured again. It’s been real.

This entry was posted in 13. Reflections, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Yupp, that just happened.

1. Brady says:

Dear Alyssa,

I hope that you are ok from your car accident. I’m glad that you enjoyed your course. How cool to navigate the concrete jungle of NYC to go to various plays and see the Arts.