Library Reference Question of the Month/ Reference & Instruction Roundtable

I have been leading an effort aimed at establishing a pattern of informal library faculty driven professional development opportunities, I have labeled as “The Reference Question of the Month” and the “Reference Question of The Month Roundtable.” One is a virtual discussion or share that leads to collegial solutions and sharing of collective expertise the other is a monthly scheduled meeting where we discuss reference and instructional practices, learn a new skill or review some practices.

My goal is to mediate opportunities where colleagues have an occasion to discuss topics relevant to enriching our reference services, instructional practice or other functions relevant to information literacy and reference in our daily practice as they arise from our contact with students and faculty, virtually and in person. The meetings afford us a chance to re-engage with our reference collection and our reference services, discuss recent trends and share projects. In this manner functioning as an in-house professional development program that is collegial.