Feed of
Posts

People change. Societies change. Cultures change. But true art transcends time. This has become ever more apparent to me while studying theater with my MHC class. We began the unit focusing on Shakespeare, and ended it seeing Enda Walsh’s Penelope at St. Ann’s Warehouse. Seeing these two works plucked from the void of time to stand next to each other allowed me to see what has stayed in the art form of theater, and what has changed. And I’ve found that a surprising amount has stayed the same.

The first similarity has nothing to do with the content or form of the art but everything to do with the people coming to see it. During our discussion about Shakespeare and British Theater, Rodney Gutierre pointed out the significance of the seating arrangements in theater. The queen sat right next to the stage – the worst seat in the house for the view, but the best seat to be viewed from. Theater was a place to make an appearance. And today, it still is. Walking into the lobby of St. Ann’s I could immediately see this. People came here to see and be seen. This much has not changed.

Gutierre’s next point of discussion was the writing of the script itself. So much sits on the rythm and flow on the text. The writing has to construct a believable dialogue, yet one pleasing to the ear. It also has to capture the attention of the audience and keep it by holding up exchanges rather than long speeches. Furthermore, there has to be a valve for the release of tension; this is where comic relief comes in. The playwright has a lot on his plate. Shakespeare mastered all of this in his writing. This is why he is still so revered. Enda Walsh reached great heights in Penelope, although this writing had its flaws. Walsh’s prose was beautiful. Some of the lines were extremely vivid, painting a picture that tickled the imagination of the audience and using it to communicate interesting ideas. There was humor that kept the story moving despite some weighty parts. But some of the monologues were too long. I found myself tuning out on more than one occasion, only to struggle my way back into the text because I knew what was being said was beautiful and I did not want to miss it. Other than this, Walsh’s writing was brilliant, and the story construed was one that deeply affected me.

Penelope touches on universal themes of love and purpose and reaches into the audience’s hearts. These same ideas have touched audiences through the ages. And today, as it has always been, the ideas explored were grafted into my mind through excellent language and with the aid of effective visuals. The actors in this show fell into their roles beautifully. Their passion reached a zenith during their powerful monologues but could be sensed in even the smallest line. And actress Olga Wehrly was successful in portraying the deeply mysterious and sensual Penelope. She had no lines yet through pure acting was able to represent and communicate the elusive object of yearning.

Also integral to the success of the storytelling were the technical aspects of the show, which were all brilliant. Sound and lighting design were used in subtle ways that underscored changes in mood and emotion. The set was extremely innovative; I was impressed from the first moments of the show, when the stage was lit up from within the set (a brilliant idea) and life is breathed into the space before us as the actors enter. To the very end, the set was effectively used to help tell the story. For example, as Odysseus approached, the blue lights behind the panels on the upper half of the set upstage glowed, building audience anticipation and suspense. The layout of the set was pleasing and very well-executed. Additionally, the reality show-like configuration when Penelope was watching the suitors on TV was very interesting; I appreciated the three focal points of the actor, screen, and Penelope that balanced out all that was going on during those scenes. Studying the set made me nostalgic for the set work I used to do, and the set itself was inspiring. In fact, the show in its entirety motivated me to begin working in theater again!

So many different factors come into the making of a show. From the actors to the electricians, the writers to the designers, the end product is a culmination of work from a wide array of different fields. The nature of the work may have changed since Shakespeare’s time, but the spirit of theater lives on. In essence, good theater has not changed very much at all. Good theater generates attention as well as anticipation. It rests on good writing, and relies on the passion of everyone who works in theater to make the audience truly feel the show. When the show can absorb the audience into its world for an hour or two (or more!), it is successful. This is a difficult art, but an extremely rewarding one. It has already transcended time. Because of its power, I think it will remain with us for much longer.