Feed of
Posts

Our walk around the Chelsea art galleries was eye-opening, as always. In the past I have been ignorant to the contents of these building with large doors and clean windows. I had always thought that if I dare attend an art gallery I would feel out of place, but this was not the case, since everyone was friendly and happy to share some background information on the galleries.

The first gallery with works of Jorge Queiroz prepared my mind for analyzing the abstract and connecting it to myself. At the start of the galleries, the works seemed rather dull, but as I progressed through the gallery I became more captivated. I found one painting reminded me of the human body. The shapes and textures were similar to organs and blood vessels. Everything aligned in the far right, creating a faint line. Since the images reminded me of the body, this painting appeared as a system to me. It contrasted some of the other paintings that were more similar to chaos and havoc.

My favorite painting in the gallery stood out the most in my eyes. It is mostly blue, but not an evil blue. It is a blue that is calm but emotional. I spent several minutes on this painting and found the more time I stood there, the more people I found in the picture. At first I counted 3 but now realize there are at least five. There is also a house in the painting and all the people appear to be focusing their attention in the direction of the house. This painting seemed welcoming to me, some of the subjects seem to be extending a welcoming hand. Some of the darker figures have a more angry expression. This painting made me feel sympathy, as if there was a pain felt among all those in the painting that is then translated to the person viewing the painting.

Another painting of the works of Jorge Queiroz that caught my attention had two people. One had a dark face whose features were extremely faint. The second person had an open circle for a face. This felt like a very interactive painting. It seemed clear that the viewer was meant to insert his or her face into that circle. This painting provokes something universal. To me it is a feeling of love but the dark colors and lack of faces shows that it is not always a joyful feeling. Also, I found this painting to be one of the most realistic ones.

The second gallery we went to, with the work of Bruce Marden, did not appeal to my tastes. Although there was the presence of color, which would usually keep me engaged, I did not find the paintings very impressionable. I would have liked to see a larger variety of colors and most importantly brighter colors. The borders on the left and right side were also counterproductive in my opinion. The borders limited the paintings and prevented me from being able to connect to his work. I would have felt more a part of the painting is it seemed the lines were extending beyond the canvas. The smaller paintings were also dissatisfying to me. They were surrounded by a thick white border and placed against a wall of the same color. They seemed to diminish in significance as a result of the border and placement.I didn’t feel as if these paintings were asking me to connect to them.

The last gallery we went to was Nicky Nodjouni, where there was a strictly political agenda in the paintings. In each picture the reflections of the people and the animals are mixed. This makes the characters blend and makes no distinction between animal and human. Thus, the human figures are portrayed as savage. The painting that stood out most to me was one that reminded me of The Master and Margarita. It featured the head of an animal and appearedd supernatural. The subjects of many of the paintings are dark in nature but relatively bright in color.