Feed of
Posts

Our visit to the chelsea galleries was quite interesting and eye opening. Not only were we exposed to different types of painting, but also, we were exposed to different messages and themes conveyed by the painters. However, if I did have to pick one of the painters as my favorite it would definitely be Kim Dorland. Those works were absolutely fantastic and introduced a new technique to painting.

The most remarkable thing about Dorland’s works was the use of 3-dimensionality. Dorland used so much paint that the images actually popped out at you from the surface. For instance, in the giant painting of a tree, Dorland actually had at least a solid inch-thick layer of paint on the whole piece of wood, from which he carved out a tree. This gave the piece 3-dimensionality because by having the tree set in the paint itself it created an illusion of distance, which was remarkable. Aside from this, we learned that Dorland used about $10,000 in paint alone and was selling the piece for $45,000. This in itself was quite amazing an added the the grandeur of the piece.

The other amazing part of Dorland’s works was the use of non-paint materials. For instance, the use of actual bark for the construction of the wooden hut piece was awesome. Again it created 3-dimensionality on the piece, but also it showed a rare yet awesome mixture of painting with sculpture and improvisation. Dorland showed a command of the materials at hand that is quite rare in painters and quite honestly it was superb.

My personal favorite, in terms of Dorlands’s works, was the crying ghost piece. It appeared to be made with water colors, although I might be mistaken. Something about the cool blue’s used in the piece is what really set it apart from everything else. I could really see the pain and suffering in the ghost’s eyes. For me the cool colors and the tormented look really set this piece apart and made me want to buy it. Again, this exemplified Dorland’s command of the materials at hand and exemplified the skills of the painter.

In all, I’m glad we went to the galleries, and I will definitely be heading back there on my own time for a visit.