Joenard's Duke-EWH Summer Institute

Accepted!

March 25th, 2012 | Pre-Trip |

About two weeks ago, I was excited to receive my acceptance letter for the 2012 Duke-Engineering World Health Summer Institute in Nicaragua. I came across Engineering World Health last summer when I was looking through summer internships for next summer and I instantly fell in love with it. I was so inspired to help out that I even started a chapter of their organization at The City College of New York. Here are some of the things that struck me in when I went through their page for the first time:

1. They’re a non-profit with an engineering focus.
      2. They help train BMETs and help repair equipment in developing countries.
      3. They presented a very unconventional view on donations that hopes to remedy the current translational problems many NGOs and charitable organizations that work in developing countries face. Here’s a TED talk by Dr. Malkin, a former Electrical Engineering Professor at CCNY and one of the founders of EWH, that sums up this argument.

They’re pretty awesome and I can’t wait to work with them.

When I do work with them in the Summer Institute, I will first be staying in Costa Rica for a month to learn some basic troubleshooting techniques and learn Spanish. For the next month, I will be in Nicaragua repairing and installing desperately needed equipment as well as training the doctors and the nurses in the use of this equipment. If you would like to know more about the program, go to my project overview page or the summer institute page on the EWH website.

The fifty people who participated  in this program fixed over a million dollars worth of equipment. This is a net yield of half a million dollars if you take away the costs of the institute for all fifty people. Pretty good for one summer, no?

In addition to getting everything together for this, I have had to deal with a 17 credit course load that most BME’s have to take the spring semester of their Junior year, which includes: Biomechanics, Biomaterials, Biomedical Instrumentation, BME Experimental Methods, and Cell and Molecular Biology. “Bio” overload. Speaking of which, I have to study for my Biomechanics midterm on Tuesday. So, I must say so long for now.

-Joenard

joenard.camarista@macaulay.cuny.edu