Korean West Side Story

West Side Story Boys

The second performance had a very dude atmosphere much like the prologue of West Side Story . The performance starts with a man forcefully mimicking a heartbeat by slapping his chest to the same tempo as the snapping in West Side Story. My interpretation of the scene was that he was having a heart attack, but who really knows. The performance seemed much more lighthearted once all the dancers started slapping exaggerate heartbeats. The boyish, sometimes chaotic chemistry between the dancers made it easy to picture this happening in a downtown Seoul school park.

2 thoughts on “Korean West Side Story

1. Great insight! I was also thinking along the same lines. I felt a sort of rivalry, yet brotherhood conveyed by the dancing. I actually envisioned that the dancers were staring in a movie about high school boys whose love and passion for dancing takes them to the streets at night for rivalry competition; yet at the same time there’s a connection between all of them through their love for dancing (I felt that they wouldn’t hesitate to help each other out of a pinch).
    This dance had a lot of wild energy and a dangerous beauty to it. The attire of the dancers made me think of the yakuza (Japanese mafia). And based on the description I felt like “No Comment” really achieved what it set out to portray–“a testosterone-filled group of male dancers prowl[ing]” the night.