The Art of Music

I’m not here to argue whether or not music has meaning. But rather to show you an amazing video.

http://youtu.be/UJrSUHK9Luw

I find it particularly fascinating what this community has achieved. They have managed to defeat the odds and provide the children of the community with something to look forward to and something that brings everyone a bit of happiness. It has caused people to be left in awe when they realize that the instruments are made from recycled trash. I guess in this case one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

2 thoughts on “The Art of Music

1. This is really spectacular. “When I listen to the sound of a violin, I feel butterflies in my stomach,” especially struck me. I think it’s incredible, both in terms of the meaning of what they’ve done and in terms of the physical act of making instruments out of garbage, that this orchestra could come to be at all. On on level, this video really saddened me, because it reminded me of what an advantage it has been that I have always been able to play the instrument I love, that I have had access to music and to the other arts, and in reminding me of that it reminded me of all the people who have not have the gifts I have been given. But it also made me incredibly joyful–there is something half-magic in seeing solutions, in seeing people bring joy into their lives.