Thomas Jefferson Park: A Hub For Gatherings

Thomas Jefferson park is located on the east side between 110th and 114th St., and is one of the main hubs for sports activities within the community. However, outside of that the park generally felt lacking, and there are some flaws in it that could be improved upon.

Statue on eastern end of park bordering the river. Credit: Daniel Stremt

The site that I decided to visit is Thomas Jefferson park, which was observed on both a weekend afternoon, (Sunday 12:30pm-2:30pm) and a weekday afternoon. (Monday 12:30p-1:30pm) One of the main things I noticed is that the park is very divided, and there isn’t really a large stretch of grass to relax in, aside from one small section in between two baseball fields. Each section had a different amenity, like a swimming pool (which is closed at this time of year) or a soccer field. Both times I was there there were various groups of people playing sports, such as soccer or Frisbee, however these were contained in the appropriate subsections. Overall there was a good amount of people on Sunday, and, although less than the day before, Monday had a decently sized group of people in the park as well. Turnover rates were low, however, as unless you were doing an organized activity the park lacked features. There were some benches around, but aside from a few people using it for a short break they were generally empty. For the most part kids/teens made up the majority of the park, as the playground was the most active area by far. The overall quality of the site was under average; however, it wasn’t bad enough to warrant a change. (There wasn’t any litter, just the ground looked unkempt and wild, which does have its own unique aesthetic in a way.) There were some renovations being done on the basketball courts near 114th street, which is a good sign.

Picnic area under trees with a grill next to it. Credit: Daniel Stremt

Overall I’d say that the site is being used quite well, however it does have one glaring issue in that it has 3 baseball fields, when in fact during both my visits only 1 was used once, so they could potentially remove one of the three and make room for something else. I asked five random people what they would like in the park should one of the baseball fields be removed, and three of them said that they would prefer an extra open grassy place to have a picnic under or just relax, as the current picnic spots were generally under trees and fairly cramped, although they did have outside barbeque grills installed. I think this is a good idea, to have an open grassy area reminiscent of Central Park, as it would provide the nearby community with an extra place to gather, instead of having to use the soccer field.

Baseball field. Unused during my two visits. Credit: Daniel Stremt

Soccer field in the park. Credit: Daniel Stremt

Statue in center of park. Credit: Daniel Stremt

Map with general location of people at specified times on Sunday. Credit: Daniel Stremt

Map displaying features of park. Credit: Daniel Stremt

General location of people at specified times on Monday. Credit: Daniel Stremt