Sunshine Playground: A Pleasant Space to Relax

by: Lynlia Tso

Entrance to Sunshine Playground (PC: Lynlia)

The Supportive Children’s Advocacy Network (SCAN) of New York and the City Spaces Program collaborated in 1996 to build playgrounds in neighborhoods with limited park space. Community groups are responsible for the maintenance and supervision of the playgrounds. Neighborhood volunteers open and close the park, maintain the plants, pick up litter, and watch over children. Sunshine Playground is an example of one of the works developed by SCAN and City Spaces. 

Sunshine Playground is a neighborhood space for locals to enjoy a nice, sunny day. It is located on East 101st Street, between Lexington and 3rd Ave. Old apartment buildings are adjacent to the playground its left and the right side. Behind Sunshine Playground is Jennie Clark Residence, a homeless shelter. It is located near a fire and police station.

My first visit to Sunshine Playground was at 2:10 PM on a Wednesday afternoon. When I arrived, the playground was vacant. This was expected because children would be at school and adults would be at work around that time. Therefore, I observed the playground and its elements instead.

Inside the playground were green wooden benches and medium sized trees. The equipment and grounds were kept clean with no signs of litter. People passed by the entrance of the playground, but none attempted to enter. They most likely were too busy with their day to day duties. It was shame — anybody would feel at peace while spending time at Sunshine Playground.

Two children running toward to playground set (PC: Lynlia Tso)

Dog with its owner near the entrance. (PC: Lynlia Tso)

Around 2:14, a young mother of two children entered Sunshine Playground. The children were about 3 or 4 years old. They ecstatically ran toward the playground set while the mother attentively followed behind. They looked like locals of the area since they seemed to know exactly where and how to use the provided play equipment. At around 2:26, a man and his Boxer dog entered the park. The dog was interested in some scents within the playground and strolled around the edges. The dog’s owner just obeyed and followed his dog’s pace. After the dog finished his business, he and his owner exited the playground.

At my second visit, I returned to Sunshine Playground at 6:40 PM on the following Thursday. It was empty when I entered and remained empty until I left at 7:10 PM.

Puddles on the ground were remnants of the rain showers that occurred during the daytime. Every object was soaked with water that reflected intricate details of the playground I did not notice before. The rust of the equipment became prominent. This allowed me to recognize the age of the playground. It also allowed me to think about the potential growth of the playground if it were to be refurbished.

The playground equipment after the rainfall. (PC: Lynlia Tso)

Another view of the playground after rainfall. (PC: Lynlia Tso)

Sunshine Playground could be improved with a painting job over the equipment. To prevent the paint from peeling off, a roof could be built over the equipment. The roof would serve as protection for the playground equipment and shelter for people from rainfall.

Playground features. (PC: Google Maps, Lynlia Tso)

Playground Visit 1. (PC: Google Maps, Lynlia Tso)

Playground Visit 2. (PC: Google Maps, Lynlia Tso)