Science and Technology of New York City

Macaulay Seminar 3 – MCHC 2001

Science and Technology of New York City

Student Environmental Activism

October 9th, 2012 · 1 Comment · Brooklyn College

Dawson, Ashley. “Greening the Campus: Contemporary Student Environmental Activism.” The Radical Teacher. No. 78 Environmental Education (Spring 2007): pp. 19-23.

Ashley Dawson is a professor at the College of Staten Island and received his Ph.D. in English and Comparative Literature from Columbia University. The author discusses the lack of environmentalism found in both the faculty and student body of universities in America. He does point out student campaigns started at different colleges but notes the difficulty in bringing about meaningful changes due to administrative restrictions. The author targets both the teaching and administrative faculty to provide a more environmentally relevant education, as well as the student body to be more active in there efforts to bring sustainability to campuses. Although he is a professor at a CUNY, I cannot find much bias in his writing. He offered a very realistic view of the current situation regarding sustainability across campuses. Dawson provides significant information related to our research project. I believe I will be able to find student movements in Brooklyn College, campaigning for sustainability, who are facing difficulties due to lack of funding by the administration. Financing any project is always such a huge issue.

Tags:

One Comment so far ↓

• tlewis

I wonder what you mean by this: “Although he is a professor at a CUNY, I cannot find much bias in his writing”? Do you plan to interview student groups for the PodWalk?

You must log in to post a comment.