April 23rd: Q on the R

Initially, I was very surprised that the Gastropolis reading focused on Roosevelt Avenue and Jackson Heights, which is just about the same area my group is doing our project on. The article points out how the various senses are used to savor food in Hispanic dining, making a particular note that auditory and visual senses are also used through flags, pictures, etc. However, I think saying this is specific to only Hispanic culture is incorrect. In the Restaurants reading, we were shown how an Indian and a Pakistani restaurant used pictures and mirrors to affect the customers’ experience. For America, the average McDonald’s or Dunkin’ Donuts will usually have top Billboard hits playing over the radio. A particularly upscale Burger King in Douglaston has pictures of various celebrities like Will Smith and George Clooney adorning each booth and a red muscle car in the middle of the restaurant that serves as a table. So, isn’t it reasonable to say that all the senses play a crucial part in dining anywhere, not just Hispanic restaurants?