Friends By Food: A Review of Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

I think the simplicity of Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss is best captured by the first pages, which introduce Sam. The reader sees the character carrying a sign away that reads “I am Sam,” only to return on the next page with the sign “Sam I am.” No other text is included. (Note: throughout the book Sam is called “Sam-I-am” so it is possible that the whole phrase its actually supposed to be his name.) The other main character of this short children’s book gives no such introduction. Our first view of this character (which for convention’s sake I’ll call “him” too; he remains nameless throughout the book) is of him sitting on a chair, reading. As soon as Sam goes by though, this character says, “I do not like that Sam-I-am.”

He has no reason to dislike Sam, who didn’t actually interact with him at all. Sam’s presence alone seems to be what’s bothering him. Sam, a friendly character uses the tried and true method of offering food to generate a friendship. He offers green eggs and ham, which the other character declares he does not like, and which he continues to assert throughout the book. He never does give a reason though, as to why he does not like them.

Sam, continuously nags the other guy over and over to try the green eggs and ham, in various situations, such as “on a boat,” “with a goat,” “in the rain,” or “on a train.” Throughout the book a rhyme and repetitive narrative is kept up, and the corresponding pictures are, in typical Dr. Seuss fashion, have animals with facial expressions that are very relatable to, despite being on the faces of creatures that are imaginary.

In fact, the ending, in which the second (non-Sam) character agrees to try the food to get Sam off his back, and then finds he likes the green eggs and ham, would seem to be the end of the relationship between the characters if not for the pictures. The final drawing is of the second character with his arm around Sam, an empty dish in hand, and a smile on both their faces, a visual tribute to the power of food to forge friendships.

I really liked that idea in this story; that food can be a point of connection between two people who are otherwise very different, as long as they are willing to try and learn about the other. Sam may be excessive in trying to find the best way the other guy would want to eat, going through 13 possibilities, but at least he tries. The other character is so busy focusing on keeping Sam and his “culture” (green eggs and ham) away, that he doesn’t realize that he is keeping himself from trying a food, which, it turns out, he likes.

This book, written at a pre-school level, reduces this very common human problem of “fear of the other” to its basic elements. Instead of making the idea silly, it simplifies it, weaving it into a story that even young children can understand, on some level. Of course, a sophisticated reader might merely skim the pages, but I think the premise of the book is just as powerful, whether it is read in 2 minutes or 25.

One of my favorite pages, which is a full picture spread with no words, shows the second character eyeing the slimy green egg which he has just committed to trying. The expression of uncertainty on his face, and the faces of all the assorted other creatures who are in the background of the picture who echo his sentiment, are so understandable. I can feel that same expression, I’ve had it on my face when I’m finally deciding to try something new after a long debate.

I also found it interesting that food is the chosen point of commonality between the two characters, not some other part of culture, like clothing or music. Similar to the use of food by New York City as a way to “Americanize” immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, this book recognizes food as “one of those things” that brings society together. I know from personal experience that when people borrow ingredients, trade recipes, and just plain share food, they become closer.

Green Eggs and Ham never fails to bring a smile to my face. This story was a part of my childhood (so much so that my family once added blue food coloring to our scrambled eggs to make them green) that I still find inspiring. And I think that the rhymes, strange creatures and vehicles, and especially the nonsensical journey the characters take, which starts in the car driving a tree, whisks down a physics defying railroad track, winds through a tunnel and ends in the ocean, capsizing a boat (and all its occupants), are all part of the fun.

Seuss, Dr. Green Eggs and Ham. New York: Random House, 1960. Print.

One thought on “Friends By Food: A Review of Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss