Photo on 8-27-13 at 12.38 PM #4

Hey guys! My name is Joanna and I am a freshman from Queens College. I was born in Brooklyn, but have lived in Corona and spent a lot of time there growing up. I now work in the Queens Center Mall and love to shop and eat on Junction. I am Puerto Rican and speak Spanish. I had the greatest time exploring Corona and I hope you guys do too. It has so much to offer, including great food, awesome music, and many different cultural activities.

My current favorite song:

Photo on 9-7-13 at 5.40 PM #4Hello, I am Lisbel Diaz. I am currently a freshman at Queens College and partook in a group project with fellow classmates in our People in New York’s course to study the neighborhood of Corona. This neighborhood is particularly an interest to me because I grew up in Corona Queens and lived in Junction Blvd until early adolescence. I am Dominican and speak fluent Spanish. I visit Corona frequently and I’m capable of understanding the vibrant culture that surrounds the neighborhood. I was able to assist the group in conducting Spanish interviews with the inhabitants and by firsthand experiencing the food and customs that surround Corona.

IMG_7133Hey, everyone! My name is Brian Rivera and I’m a freshman here at good ol’ Queens College. I’m a double-major in Drama & Theatre and Spanish, and a part-time lifeguard. Over the course of this project, I’ve found Corona to be absolutely fascinating. Though I am hispanic (one quarter, to be exact), a vast majority of my family has assimilated so I don’t get to truly enjoy all that the Spanish cuisine and culture have to offer. Being able to study and visit Corona has given me the opportunity to get in touch with my roots, as well as the roots of Corona’s residents, whom proudly celebrate and embrace their culture every day!

10256718_389003841241421_5279248411316892058_o Hello anonymous internet user! My name is John DeFilippo. I’m a freshman at Queens College and I’m studying Theatre and Italian, along with a couple dozen minors. I initially worked on Corona because my group wanted to and I actually ended up enjoying exploring the neighborhood and working on this project. Being part Italian, it was cool to see how the Italian influence was still present in Corona and how it has fused with other cultures to survive. Also, I like Hispanic food and have 4 years of high school Spanish, so this was a great way to exercise both of those.

Screen Shot 2014-05-13 at 8.42.03 PMHello all! My name is Ashley Brea Tavarez and I am also a college Freshman at Queens college. I am studying Psychology and Early Childhood Education. I was born and raised in the Bronx and prior to this project had never been to Corona, Queens. However I found that I was well equipped to experience the culture of Corona due to my Dominican background. My knowledge of the hispanic culture and the spanish language definitely helped me to appreciate the music in the area as well as the different food variations.

Ppling-About-Me Hi there! My name’s Yoo Na, and I’m a History major at Queens College. Before this project, I never really went to Corona before. I’ve been to the park with the Unisphere, Citifield, and other notable places people who live(d) in Queens may find themselves at. I’ve also passed over Corona many times whenever I made my way into the city via the 7 train. However, I never stopped to actually go into Corona. For so long I have over looked this rich and vibrant neighborhood, and now I’ve gotten to know Corona is ways I could not have had if not for this project. I hope you will too after exploring our site. Enjoy!