Hi, welcome to our website!

We are students at Macaulay Honors College at Queens College. For our Peopling of NYC Seminar, we choose to study the food of the Lower East Side. We hope you enjoy our website exploring the neighborhood’s diverse foods and what it says about the Lower East Side’s rich immigrant history to the gentrification occurring today.

Here is a little information about each of us:

Ikramullah Khan

I’m an international student from Pakistan majoring in Biochemistry and minoring in journalism. Apart from academics, I am passionate about boxing and cricket, which are the two things that have influenced me to pursue sports medicine in the future. In my spare time I love to ride my bike and try out different sweets from local bakeries.

Screen Shot 2014-05-13 at 9.26.50 PM

Dalia Moradi

Hi, I’m Dalia! I have lived in New York for all my life, although both my parents are immigrants. I enjoy learning new things, taking photos, and running in my spare time. I had so much fun traveling to the Lower East Side and exploring its restaurants. While working on this project, I learned a lot about the history of food in the neighborhood that was intertwined with its strong immigrant presence and how food has transformed to what it is today. I’m glad I got the chance to see the Lower East Side and New York City as a whole through the lens of each neighborhood’s people and their unique foods.

Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 5.42.04 AM

Jonathan Perlman

I was born and raised in Queens, NY and currently reside in Fresh Meadows, Queens. I’m an Orthodox Jew and attended a Jewish Elementary School as well as a Jewish High School. I am the son of two American parents, both of whose parents immigrated to New York at a young age.

Screen Shot 2014-05-13 at 9.52.53 PM

Sima Shulman

When I’m not shopping in the Jerusalem open air food market (Machane Yehudah) I like dancing to hard rock / metal music, collaging, and reading the newspaper. I am an Orthodox Jew who grew up in Kew Gardens Hills, New York, and I love going to the beach in the rain with my family, especially when we search for seashells and other beach odds and ends. I hope to learn Krav Maga and am fascinated by the infrastructure of big cities (like NYC). My favorite subject is Jewish History, so I had fun learning the tidbits of Jewish History that come attached to the past of the Lower East Side.

Photo on 5-7-14 at 4.51 PM

From left to right:

Top Row: Jonathan, Ikramullah

Bottom Row: Dalia, Shadia, Sima