Barking Dog Drives NYC Mad

The New Yorker article on noise pollution definitely gave me more insight on the topic. The author provided a plethora of data and graphs to portray the depths of the various noise complaints from residents in neighborhoods all around Manhattan and Brooklyn. It was helpful to have those charts and graphs because I was able to understand the various levels of noise pollution at specific days and times in certain neighborhoods.

I was most interested to read that the complaints for barking dogs could not be pinpointed to a specific region, which proves that New York City loves its dogs. However, I can not imagine actually calling 311 to complain about a dog unless the barking persisted for over 20 to 30 minutes. The most surprising complaint was the ice cream truck because whenever I hear the sweet jingle, I always rush to grab money to buy some ice cream. This complaint surprised me for similar reasons as to why people called in about a barking dog.

Overall, this article was informative and interesting to read. I am slightly shocked that cars and construction were not the leading forms of noise pollution. Although, it does make sense that people were the leading factors. With the growing urban population in New York, it is impossible to avoid the noise  of millions of people.