I rushed into Carnegie Hall at 7:27, not taking time to enjoy the beautiful structure I was entering. After all, Betthoven’s famous Missa Solemnis was set to begin at 7:30, and there was no late seating. I went up to the usher and fumbled in my pockets for my ticket. Only one problem: it wasn’t there. I quickly ran to the ticket booth and begged for a replacement ticket. After hassling for long enough, I was given an unsold ticket. I glanced at my watch – 7:31. I was directed and cheered on by the ushers as I ran up dozens of steps, finally reaching the hall as the doors were closing. Attracting some dirty looks as I walked in- the production had already begun- I went over to my new seat, apart form the rest of the class. Though it may just sound like a cute story, entering the orchestra in such a fashion had a huge impact in my experience.

Firstly, being around real orchestra goers,as opposed to my classmates, was a completely different experience. These people knew what they were doing. They ooh-ed and aah-ed at the right moments. They mutterres and looked at all the right things. Sitting there, alone, in an island of people who were at the orchestra because they actually chose to, was an experience.

Secondly, I entered the hall when it was already dark. Not having a complete picture of my surroundings made it all the more interesting to listen to. It added a kind of mysterious feel to the event.

So, although I entered in a rush, my orchestra experience was wholly unique and allowed me to appreciate the event in a different way that all the others.

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.