From the Eyes of the Beholder

Outsiders:

Gina: From the moment I stepped off the Q train and onto Brighton 6th Avenue, I felt as if I was dropped off into another country. I was overwhelmed by the smells, sounds, and sights that were almost entirely foreign to me. I had taken Russian for four years of high school. I quickly discovered that my knowledge of the language and culture could not prepare me enough for the experience that awaited me. I made my way down Brighton 6th Avenue to the Boardwalk. The area was heavily populated with elderly men and women huddled in blankets and thick coats. They sat on chairs and benches that were the furthest away from the water. The Russian language permeated the air. Never before had I been in an area so thoroughly immersed with one culture. I anxiously awaited the rest of my group, especially those who spoke Russian, expecting to feel more included once I was joined by my peers. Unfortunately this was not the case. It was apparent that we were outsiders; to both us and the inhabitants of the neighborhood.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5