Crumbling Concrete Jungle

On my commute to work, I frequently pass through the 123 train turnstyles in Penn Station. Although the walk seems second nature to me, I find myself surprised every time I walk through the area as the infrastructure continues to deteriorate. Capturing MTA’s leakage issue, the photo depicts our city’s infrastructure’s demise in its simplest form. The area suffers from leakage throughout all parts of the station, and the water’s stench makes walking through the area unbearable. You can also see parts of the ceiling concaving slightly above the turnstyles. Although the city made an effort to “renovate” the area, the only visible improvement made was a mosaic on the right wall. This image represents our city’s issue with funding infrastructure maintenance, and how procrastinating on its improvement can only be detrimental to our health.

This entry was posted in NYC Gallery. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Crumbling Concrete Jungle

1. Herrick says:

Hi Lauren,
    I have noticed the same issue whenever I’m in Penn Station and I completely agree with you. That part of the station is definitely one of the worst parts of the station and it doesn’t seem like the city is making a strong effort to remedy the situation in an efficient manner. I’m always worried whenever I walk under there that it might collapse in that moment and it definitely smells terrible. Since the traffic in Penn Station is almost always very busy, especially during peak times, the city should really prioritize in getting it completely fixed to improve the commute. It is certainly a great example of the city’s crumbling infrastructure.

2. vickilau says:

I think this is such an important issue, especially since Penn Station is one of the most frequented stations in this city. If the MTA/the city can’t tend to one of its most popular stations, what about all the “less” popular stations (ie. literally anywhere besides Times Square 42nd, Herald Square, etc etc)? Stations leak all the time (even when it’s not raining?) and there are cracks everywhere. While all this is happening, the MTA is raising fares to help “renovate” these stations. These renovations, however, are always for seemingly useless parts of the station; for instance, new flashy display screens, more countdown clocks (that don’t work half of the time).

3. Douglas Muzzio says:

Penn Station has been from its beginning obsolete and one of the ugliest, most confusing rail stations in the nation (and world at least as I’ve seen it). The story of the first Penn Station’s bull-dozing led to NY’s landmark regulations.

Nice shot.