I’ve always dreamed of having a balcony

I took this picture from a building in Brooklyn.  It’s rare to be in the middle of Manhattan and see such a clear view in front of you.

• Something that I notice all the time, is how many buildings have windows and balconies that look straight into another building. I always dreamed of having a balcony in my house or apartment, but after seeing what a balcony is in NYC, i decided I’d rather not.  The fact that people paid millions of dollars just to drink coffee on their balcony, enjoying the view of a brick wall, amazes and saddens me. I’m sure the balconies once had a clear view, but with more and more buildings being built up, each taller than the previous one, it’s hard to see anything unless you’re on the 50th floor, way above everyone else… and ever then you might be blocked. People always say “location, location, location” when justifying the insane prices of NYC real estate, but what kind of multimillion dollar location leaves you without any acces to light ?

This entry was posted in NYC Gallery. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to I’ve always dreamed of having a balcony

1. Makinoon Sami says:

Interesting read, you can look at it as an opportunity cost scenario. Some people have no choice but to pay rent for these high priced apartment regardless of what the view could be. But, others look for alternatives to an apartment in the heart of the city. Nowadays, people look for convenience and accessibility instead of the aesthetics, which is ideal because honestly as a student, I would love to live in Manhattan just so it makes it easier for me to go to class and work. But, my opportunity cost of that would be giving up the comfort of my own home in Queens and paying high rent.