Download (PPT, 34.59MB)

It is a fact that everybody loves Christmas – even Scrooge and the Grinch have converted. The holiday spirit is contagious, and there is something special about having Christmas music playing in the mall alongside luminous lights, decorations, and jolly people that is felt only once a year. One of my favorite shopping destinations is Midtown around the 34th Street area. When I have a reason to shop and look at Christmas decorations, I never deny the opportunity!

Fifth Avenue is internationally acknowledged as one of the prime shopping districts in New York. After all, it did land a spot in the list of “2012 Great Places in America.” In addition to the shopping, the street is home to well-known museums, parks, luxury apartments, and historical landmarks (some located nearby in Midtown). It is also ranked as one of the most expensive streets to own property on, coming at a whopping price of $1,850 per square foot of space. While I walked along Fifth Avenue from the 49th Street train station, I noticed the New York Public Library and its striking resemblance to the government buildings in City Hall with their granite and limestone exteriors and Greek columns. I also passed by Rockefeller Center, where the annual Tree Lighting Ceremony was held about a week ago! I felt privileged to be able to live in a city a lot of time, money, and effort is put in to raise our already high quality of life. At the same time, I also felt selfish to be able to enjoy luxuries like shopping and celebrating Christmas when there are so many other people that are less fortunate.

Although I love Christmas and shopping, another reason I chose this community is because it perfectly reflects the American consumerist culture. Tourists and locals alike visit Midtown because it has the largest collection of luxury boutiques at “cheaper” prices than elsewhere in the world. These include international brands and flagship stores such as Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, Chanel – you know, brands that middle class folk like me cannot afford on a daily basis (or at all).

Despite the overpriced goods, Fifth Avenue also represents America’s place in the world as a world power, both economically and politically. Notice that the brands come from all around the world, proving the major role that globalization continues to play in the American economy. Even though not everyone can afford the luxury brands, Fifth Avenue does offer free recreational activities for friends and family from all ranks of social status, like the Christmas windows. Call Fifth Avenue exclusive or inclusive, but I’m just glad that it helps keep the American economy and the holiday spirit alive.

Jenny and I took a subway ride to Midtown after school to see the windows at Lord&Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Macy’s. We wanted to go with Jennifer also, but she was at work filling in for a coworker who was on sick leave. Anyway, Jenny and I departed in the afternoon forgetting that windows tend to have a glare when the sun is out. We took videos and pictures at Lord&Taylor first, then at Saks Fifth Avenue, and Jennifer went to Macy’s a few days later. I took my camera with me to record videos while Jenny took pictures on her cell phone; however, we decided not to include the videos because the window glare made the displays unclear. For some of the pictures that were unclear, we substituted it with pictures from online. Also, it was really hard to avoid the crowd and filter out the noise and traffic along Fifth Avenue. Despite that, we still really enjoyed the windows because the glare and noise is not as prevalent or noticeable in person.

The Lord&Taylor windows were my favorite because I had seen them a few weeks ago with my family, and the feeling they gave me was warm and cozy but also magical and festive. It included interior views of holiday mansions inhabited by all kinds of animals – mice, birds, dogs, and cats. They celebrated in communities, which captured the sense of gathering and reuniting with family and friends during Christmas. The magical element came through from the windows through the movements of the props and figures. These windows were the most animated because it incorporated video wall technology and mechanical movements of the animals. Although there wasn’t really a storyline (like the Macy’s one), I really enjoyed it because it captured my emotions during the holiday season and represented – in a very cute way – how many people spend the holidays. I also learned that these windows are powered by hydraulics (a pressurized water system), which really excited me because I love anything that involves environmental awareness and sustainability.

The second set of windows we visited was at Saks Fifth Avenue, which included very lavish and elaborate displays centered on a fairytale theme. It was called “An Enchanted Experience” and featured Cinderella, Snow White, Rapunzel, Rumpelstiltskin, Little Red Riding Hood, and Sleeping Beauty. I loved Disney fairytales as a little kid and still do. The hilarious and clever twist that Saks Fifth Avenue put on these fairytales were shown in the captions on the bottom of the windows. For example, my favorites were Cinderella’s, which read “Once upon a time in New York, Cinderella fell madly in love with a pair of designer shoes” and Sleeping Beauty’s, which read “Once upon a time in New York, Sleeping Beauty had trouble adjusting to the city that never sleeps.” As you can see, the windows captured New York City with elaborate and funny fairytale elements.

I took them all lightheartedly, but when analyzed more in-depth, the windows put a spotlight on New Yorkers’ busy, materialistic, and entertainment culture. All of the princesses’ gowns were decorative enough to be performers’ costumes and elements of Broadway were seen especially in the Snow White window, which had billboards in the background. It is a little concerning to see that people (including myself) are so easily caught up in wanting brand-name products like fancy shoes and the perfect holiday party dress. Amidst our many desires further encouraged by genius marketing strategies, however, we forget that material goods only bring temporary happiness.

What should be more important is the long-term effect that someone can produce for oneself and for others. Recently, my mom bought a perfume for me that I wanted for a very long time. For the first few days, I worshipped it like pirate’s treasure. I still love it now, but the hype has died down; rather, what was more long lasting and valuable was that my mom bought it for me because she knew it would make me happy. Also, what is important during the holidays is giving back to others – especially to people who are less fortunate. There are red Salvation Army buckets set up all around Manhattan, and something in the news caught my eye. A widow put her diamond engagement ring in the bucket along with a heartbreaking and moving note that read, “In all seasons, my husband was a giver. I especially remember his joy in giving at Christmastime, especially to those in need. To honor his memory, I donate this ring.” It really inspired me to keep others (besides myself, my family, and my friends) in mind throughout the holiday season.

Having lived in New York my entire life, it was familiar and comforting to see how New Yorkers themselves portrayed the holiday season. However, I would love to see more of Christmas represented around the world. I’m curious about what other people besides Americans are doing during this time of the year, and how different or similar their ways of celebrating are. I’m also curious whether they celebrate Christmas at all or if not, how they celebrate a different holiday. I love learning about different cultures as well as my own. Looking at the Christmas windows solidified my views of New York City as a very extravagant yet diverse place, full of opportunities and dreams if one is willing to reach and work for them. Unfortunately, Jenny, Jennifer, and I couldn’t look at all of the holiday windows located along Fifth Avenue (the rest are listed below if you would like to see them!). Several stores also had performances on the days they unveiled their windows, and I also wish that I could have attended them. Overall, I really enjoyed seeing Midtown dressed in its holiday gear and sharing the holiday spirit with all of the other shoppers and families who were there as well. I learned that the holiday season is one of the few rare escapes that many New Yorkers experience from their usually inundated and busy lives. I am so glad that they exist to keep the child alive within us all.

Bergdorf Goodman (754 Fifth Ave, at 58th St)

Bloomingdale’s (1000 Third Ave, at 59th St)

Lord&Taylor (424 Fifth Ave, between 38th and 39th St)

Macy’s Herald Square (151 W 34th Street, between Sixth and Seventh Ave)

Saks Fifth Avenue (611 Fifth Ave, at 49th St)

Tiffany & Co (727 Fifth Ave, between 56th and 57th St)