Susan Slyomovic

When thinking about a parade I think in terms of a celebration. Specifically about what event, people or religion the parade is for, and my thought does not go deeper than that. However, Susan Slyomovic’s essay on the Muslim World Day Parade opened my eyes to the different elements that go into planning a parade, and the meaning behind parades.  According to Slyomovic parades such as the Muslim World Day Parade can be a way for Muslims to try and gain a higher status in America by achieving political and economic power. Parades are also used to show assimilation because Americans have parade and to stamp themselves out as members of the American population.

Moreover what was interesting is that the Muslim Day Parade is among two parades that are denoted to a specific religion. I found this strange because one would think that Christianity, the most popular religion in the world would have a parade to celebrate their religion before Islam. Additionally, this parade is one of three parades that celebrate Islam. Three more than most other religions. On top of that, the parade incorporates other elements of American life, such as other religions and events. For example there was an Irish band and African American jazz band among an Arabic band. However, at the same time it is obvious that the focus of the parade is Islam. This is seen by how marchers stop to face east and pray in the middle and then continue on the route after prayer is over. I found that interesting because in America although there are observant  people of every religion, you wouldn’t think that anyone would stop in the middle of a parade a symbol of being American to pray. Moreover, the floats also represent holy Muslim sites such as the Kabba in Mecca and the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem. Also, the marchers carry signs representing different verses of the Koran and from the different organizations they are coming from. In doing so they are education those that come to the parade about Islam and their holy sites as well as showing their devotion to their religion.

This entry was posted in Reading Responses. Bookmark the permalink.