Transnationalism

While I am familiar with the concept of transnationalism as it relates to modern immigration, I must confess that I was completely unaware of the existence of transnationalism at the turn of the century, when mostly Italians from southern Italy and Russian Jews were arriving on the shores of the United States.  Prior to reading Professor Foner’s book, I knew very little about Italian migration to the United States and the little I knew about Russian migration at the turn-of-the-century included the assumption that Russian Jews were escaping persecution, economic hardship and destitution in favor of a brighter existence in America.  I assumed that the Russian Jews left their homeland and did not look back and was completely unaware that a percentage of them actually returned to Russia.

The phenomenon of Italian immigrants bouncing back and forth between Italy and the United States seems extremely uncharacteristic for the time period in which it occurred.  Today, people travel with relative ease and the distance between Europe and the United States has become insignificant given modern air travel.  In the early 1900’s it was a very big deal to travel from Europe to the United States and back.  The fact that many Italian immigrants made this journey over and over seems remarkable.

I found the comparison between transnationalism in the past and the present phenomenon to be very interesting.  Clearly technology plays a huge role in facilitating connections between today’s immigrant groups and their homelands.  The book focuses on technologies such as telephone, television and the like.  It only briefly touches on the importance of email and the Internet.  The widespread growth of computer technology, even since the year 2000, including the use of Skype and other Internet methods of communication and information has increased the ease of staying connected with one’s homeland exponentially.

Another aspect of the chapter that caught my attention was the comparison between public opinions on the subject of transnationalism.  Overall, Americans at the turn-of-the-century were not enthralled with immigrants who chose to hold onto their original identity.  Immigrants were encouraged to assimilate, to become real Americans.  Any outward signs of one’s homeland were perceived as negatives.  Today, our society is much more accepting of multicultural identities.  Today, transnationalism is looked on as a positive – a way for immigrants to feel more comfortable in their new environment, a way for them to find people with like language, customs and interests who can help them adapt to their new surroundings.

This entry was posted in Reading Responses. Bookmark the permalink.