Pace of Life

Oh no! It’s almost been a week. So, naturally, I’ve got many things to talk about. First of all, my recent and ongoing Californication marathon has inspired me to remember that writing does not always come easy, and that it’s possible to do it very well. Just like being healthy, which I have not exactly been rocking at.

Yesterday, my right ear and the right side of my throat started to act up, as if having wet hair in the chilly morning time and being around a bunch of people with colds is in some way detrimental to their wellbeing. Jerks.

I got some ibuprofen from my new favorite man in the residence (nothing’s going on, he’s just awesome), and I totally didn’t go to school today. Laid around relaxing and being a bum. Now I’m doing homework and drinking a lot (h20) because I AM GOING TO SCHOOL TOMORROW.

Today, one of my friends asked me how Spain is. I wasn’t sure how to respond at first because it feels so normal to be here now. It used to be a question of novelty, of exploration. Even though I’m curled into a ball on my bed like a wounded kittycat, and Spain is still not my country, it feels so right. I belong in this room.

However, I’d love to leave it some more tomorrow. I was careful this fine Tuesday because my Monday activities included going to school and meeting up with one of my language exchange partners. All of that only made me feel worse in the end. Talking to her always makes me happy, though, and I got to meet her boyfriend!! They walked me part of the way home, through the beautiful old quarter of the city, which is no less adorable at night.

Sure, it’s more of a party atmosphere at night, but that’s one thing I love about Spaniards. They know how to party. However, the most enchanting part of my week was the realization that sitting outside on benches is a thing. It’s not a random, “Hey, I’m tired. Let’s sit on this bench” type of deal. It’s a legitimate “I’ll meet you at the bench by the Ayuntamiento” situation. In place of bowling or strolling in the park, a bunch of people go sit on benches and talk to their buddies about life.

I tried it one time and it was nice, but I was also eating ice cream. I wasn’t sitting to sit and chatting to chat. I love that here. It’s the pace of life. Just looking out the window at the mountain that my roomie has dubbed “Paco” relaxes me, because it reminds me that we’re in Spain. You can totally chill here. Now if only they had a word for chill…

Smell ya later… (yes, like I said, Californication marathon)

Love,

Julia

About Julia

I'm studying abroad in Spain, but am supposed to be a Macaulay at City sophomore in the International Studies program. I love my life!
This entry was posted in Spain. Bookmark the permalink.