You’re never too young to write a bucket list (life’s short!)

Well hello!

So I’ve had a dramatic summer so far, and it got me thinking about growing up and being responsible. Then I thought, hey, I might die tomorrow.

Today, my dad and I were in the jeep after figuring out my apartment situation and buying some work shoes for him. We had a conversation about everything being a learning experience, especially mistakes. One of my biggest mistakes in my super long 20 years of learning experiences has been fear. I used to be afraid of everything. Surely, you all can understand that.

So (in the honor of not being afraid) said I, “I’m not even scared of death anymore. Hey, I should write a bucket list! But I don’t really want to call it a bucket list…”

My dad, clever man that he is, mumbled something.

“What?” I asked.

“Teacup list,” he said.

I was like “…”

“Oh, when my teacup is almost empty..” says my father in a clairvoyant girly voice.

HAHAHAHA. wut?

So here’s my teacup list. I’ve written about how everyone should do everything they want before they die. Join me in writing a teacup list. Less ominous than a bucket list, and if you don’t write it down you’re never going to do it. Come on, 3-year-olds have tea parties! It’s not about imminent death, it’s about imminent life šŸ™‚ Live it up like Earl Grey, baby!

We make enough mistakes and have enough obstacles to turn life into the occasional crapstorm… but writing a list of things to do as soon as they’re physically and financially feasible costs nothing and makes you feel an eensy bit invincible. Try it!

Anyway, por fin (and in no particular order, mind you), here’s mine:

Julia’s First Life-Improving Teacup List

*join the Peace Corps (at least once)
*have a serious relationship
*go skydiving
*go to China
*go on the Empire State building
*go on a US roadtrip with someone special
*find a reason to visit all the states that weren’t part of the roadtrip
*raise some kids (maybe mine, maybe not)
*get an internship at at NGO in NYC
*write a book

That’s not the whole thing, because we always learn more :). I hope it gave you some ideas!

Love,

Julia

About Julia

I'm studying abroad in Spain, but am supposed to be a Macaulay at City sophomore in the International Studies program. I love my life!
This entry was posted in Summer 2012. Bookmark the permalink.