Cannibalism in the Opera

I was so excited for the opera! The experience definitely lived up to my expectations, especially when the chandeliers rose up to the ceiling. I mean, how cool was that?! Anyway, I tried to be on my best behavior, but of course I got shushed by someone! I wasn’t even saying anything. The opera hadn’t even started yet!

But let’s get to the meaning of the title. I know Hansel and Gretel is originally a dark story, but I didn’t realize that Humperdinck was going to follow the story so loosely. I don’t recall if Hansel and Gretel ate the witch at the end of the story. But that’s exactly what happened in the opera, and I was extremely surprised because I’m sure there were children in the audience. Otherwise, the opera was fantastic. Every once in a while I’d be able to make out what one of the singers was saying without having to read the lyrics on the screen. Bigger plus, I managed to stay awake. It wasn’t boring at all, I was too confused by some of the things that were going on to be bored.