Warmth in the Cold Reality

Over the course of first seventy-two pages of Let the Great World Spin, we are led to travel over 5,000 miles alongside the characters. From Manhattan to Dublin, and from Dublin to Bronx and Queens. As we travel across the ocean with the author, we are introduced to distinct characteristics of each location: loud and lawless urban aspect of New York, and quiet yet unsettling suburban aspect of Dublin. Lawless part of New York is depicted through heroin and prostitution while unsettling part of Dublin is presented through homelessness and Northern Ireland conflict. I really love how the author does not sugar-coat these areas but exposes the harsh reality of each area.

As I read through the first chapter, my heart was weirdly comforted. I used the word weirdly because as I mentioned before, the problems and circumstances presented in this book is not that cheerful. But I was comforted by Corrigan. In the midst of this cold reality, he was able to project him warmth. Of course he had his internal problems as we witnessed throughout the chapter, but I think that is what makes him more humane. Just like any one of us, he struggled. But he was able to keep his willingness to help others in his own struggles.

I am reminded, reality is cold. Through Corrigan I am also reminded, the fact that reality is cold does not mean that we have to give up our warmth.

One thought on “Warmth in the Cold Reality”

1. I like how you use the phrase “weirdly comforted” in your post. I was trying to figure out exactly how Colum McCann’s writing made me feel, and that phrase really sums it up. Great post!