“Miró, Miró, on the wall, who’s the deadest of them all?”

“Miró, Miró, on the wall, who’s the deadest of them all?” (McCann 112).

I) Joan Miró was a surrealist Spanish painter from Barcelona whose artwork is presented in Claire’s apartment. The quote McCann states is a direct allusion to the famous Snow White fairytale in which the queen asks her magic mirror on the wall who is the fairest of them all, though McCann’s version is slightly more twisted due to Claire’s dead son and grieving character.

II) Primary Characters:

• Corrigan
  • Ciaran
  • Jazzlyn
  • Tillie
  • Adelita
  • Claire
  • Solomon
  • The group of mothers
  • Gloria
  • Lara
  • Blaine
  • Tightrope Walker
  • Computer Hackers (Sam Peters -“The Kid”, Compton, Dennis, and Gareth)
  • Fernando Marcano

There are over seventy human interactions or collisions as of book two.

III) I am the most intrigued in Lara and Ciaran’s interactions because I find it incredibly odd for someone to be cordial with their brother’s killer. Although she did not directly kill Corrigan, Ciaran still knows she was in the car that hit his. Even before he finds this out and she says that she was the driver, Ciaran is still very friendly with her and invites her out. Upon her admission of being the passenger, he claims to have known that she wasn’t the driver. They drink together and their relationship presented here is not quite a typical one due to their character involvements and actions. I find it admirable that Ciaran was not angry with her; however, I find it weird that he was even so interested in taking her out after the funeral. Finally, they kiss and Lara leaves to discover that she wants to leave Blaine and I am left wanting to see more of Lara and Ciaran together. I wonder how their characters are going to develop and if they are going to continue to see each other.

3 thoughts on ““Miró, Miró, on the wall, who’s the deadest of them all?””

1. The one thing you left out about Ciaran and Lara’s relationship is the possibility of Blaine reacting harshly. Lara said in her chapter that Blaine doesn’t have much of a temper, but she could still see him smashing the paintings into bits. If that’s how he’d react to paintings, how would he react to his wife cheating on him?

2. I also found it strange that Lara went out with Ciaran. Their whole relationship is off-putting in a way. This may be just because I don’t like Lara’s character very much.

3. I also found this relationship to be rather strange. However, I’m a sucker for love, so…I got to admit that I’m kind of rooting for them. I really like Ciaran and hope he finds love because I think he deserves it, but the jury is still out on Lara. I am cautiously optimistic. Then again, I still think Clay Jensen and Hannah Baker have a chance together, so there is obviously something wrong with my mind!