The weather is fine up here

I am used to walking around buildings that are too tall to see where they end, however I am not used to being on a level where I can see all of the environment surrounding the building, the people working in their offices, and bathtubs being installed (something you can’t see at museums). It is this unnatural state of something you are so familiar with that can be very powerful to a person viewing a piece of art. On the High Line we see the city in a new perspective and we become the tourists we judge on 14st street for being amazed at how tall a building is. I usually don’t like looking up to see how tall the buildings are because I feel lost and consumed by all of it. However, on the High Line it felt as if the buildings were eye level and I felt apart of it instead of someone trapped in a maze of tall buildings (until I looked down the stairs and realized I was scared of heights). I didn’t feel as if I was only viewing the art or it was only viewing me, but that we were making eye contact.

One thought on “The weather is fine up here”

1. Don’t worry, I’m not a big fan of heights either. Anyways, I really enjoyed your analogies throughout the post, especially about normally being trapped in a maze. I found it interesting as you considered this unnatural because I have different words for when I saw the bathrooms, one of them being disturbed.