River Flows in You; You Flow in the River

There is a lot of music I listen to. I have seven different playlists that I listen to depending on my mood. But one piece that I will always enjoy is Yiruma’s “River Flows in You”. The piece is a short, contemporary piano piece. It is one of those pieces that brings back timeless memories. It makes me happy and sad at the same time. I would say bittersweet, but I feel as if that word doesn’t doesn’t completely describe the entirety of emotions it brings. It is nostalgic, in a sense. It often reminds me of memories in my past. When I first heard it, I thought of it as a sad piece, making me long for the memories of my youth, or for a time of happiness I can never have again. As I listened to it more often, my interpretation of the piece began to change. Instead of being just sad that I could never experience these memories again, I began to cherish the fact that I was a part of them.

Instead of allowing the memories to flow within me and make me sad, I wanted to cherish the memories and make new ones instead.

Instead of having the river flow in me, I began to flow in the river.