Blog 6

Stairway to Heaven– Led Zeppelin

This song holds great importance to music in general. The guitar solo is thought to be the most famous in all of Rock. I was first turned onto Led Zeppelin, and other groups of music in this genre, last summer when my brother showed me Black Dog. When I listen to this band, I think of how they mastered their instruments. I have always been in love with how the guitar sounds and how a master can play. This group made me fascinated with how an instrument can sound so different but so similar every time I heard it. I got into Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana and of course Jimi Hendrix during this time. Next thing I know the summer is a month in and the music on my iPhone is not what it once was. I had realized I had deleted a majority of the rap and pop from my phone and instead had a lot more rock n’ roll. To me, this genre of music has always represented a free will and free feeling group of people. It represents the rebellious and free feeling youth of the 60s and 70s that made music meaningful. Stairway to Heaven has always been a song of joy to me. The guitar solo specifically makes me feel happy. It gives me a burst of energy and I feel a surge of emotion. I can’t help but hum along to the melody that they create. I think of light colors when I listen to this song. It reminds me of things associated with heaven—colors like white, cream, green and gold. I think of a stairway to heaven that continues forever. This has become my favorite song and has changed my taste in music heavily. I find myself enjoying music similar to this, and preferring it to over the contemporary music I once listened to religiously.