Blog Post 9

“When people forge tools or build things, they are often trying to alleviate discomfort. But first they must define the discomfort.”

I think the discomfort that fuels creation is often subconscious. When I create something, a drawing, a piece of writing, or a meal, I never think “I am doing this to alleviate discomfort.” In my mind, I’m creating because I have something to show, or to say, or I’m just hungry. If I didn’t draw, or write, or eat I would be in a state of discomfort, and it is possible to argue that discomfort ultimately fuels creation. There is more to creation than pure discomfort. The joy of creating something also plays a role.

“the sculpture [of Laocoon] didn’t change, but the idea of pain and justice did”

This shows how great art can be reinterpreted over time, and still remain meaningful. The truth is, it is impossible to look at a historical work of art and see it in the way it was seen when it was first created. We see everything through 21st century eyes and understand art in the context of our time. The Laocoon sculpture was originally meant to be an image of a man who deserved to be tortured, but now we see the sculpture as an expression of horrific pain and suffering. No matter the interpretation, the sculpture is still a striking work.

One thought on “Blog Post 9”

1. “This shows how great art can be reinterpreted over time, and still remain meaningful”
    — Yes, indeed!