March 7, 2009

Comics and Apocalypse

Filed under: Uncategorized @ 11:38 am

Here is an article on an honors student at Rutgers who is researching apocalypse in comics, FYI.  

It would be worth contacting him.

http://news.rutgers.edu/focus/issue.2009-03-02.9289810626/article.2009-03-04.0072966723/article_page_view

Comments (2)

2 Comments »

1.   jesseastwood — March 8, 2009 @ 6:03 pm    

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Well, this is exactly what I was afraid of, that someone would beat me to it. I suppose we are focusing on different issues, but there is certainly a degree of overlap that saddens me. I’m glad he hasn’t looked at Zombies, non superhero comics or film, otherwise I’d be extremely disappointed.

I worry about contacting him and giving him more ideas that he then publishes into papers before I do? Perhaps that’s a bit selfish and paranoid.

– Jesse

2.   lquinby — March 8, 2009 @ 6:38 pm    

Hi Jesse–and to any of you who are worried about your ideas being usurped or already argued–that’s not the way to look at it! Remember what Greg pointed out about Darwin and Russel. Really good ideas need to have enough others working on them so that they are still innovative but recognizable as such. And really good ideas often have a number of people articulating them to a larger audience. That way they have impact. So, while you don’t want to just hand over your whole argument to someone, it does make sense to join in a conversation with others who are equally intrigued. My own experience with the Center for Millennial Studies at BU, for example, is that those kinds of conversations sharpened my own views and made me stretch further. And, after all, all of us in this group are drawing on previous publications in our respective fields.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI