Will you make more than your parents?

Not officially an article, but an interesting map that shows how much more or less money children earn than their parents just by growing up in a certain county. Although obviously an adult’s income is based off of more than just where their parents raised them, location plays a huge part of influencing that difference: from taxes to real estate value to quality of education. Since we focus on the effects of location on economics, and recently, the inequality of income, I thought it would be an interesting little wake up call–and it’s national, too, so we can compare how lucky/unlucky we’re projected to be with people from other states. You may also want to refer to it in your neighborhood project, if it applies.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/05/03/upshot/the-best-and-worst-places-to-grow-up-how-your-area-compares.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&bicmst=1409232722000&bicmet=1419773522000&abt=0002&abg=1

One thought on “Will you make more than your parents?

1. I found it really surprising that in terms of economic stability, NYC is ranked better than only 7% of counties in the US. It reminded me of our discussion from this past week’s class about the location of the American Dream. I keep wondering myself if the cost of living in and around New York will continue to rise to the point where it becomes impossible for the poor to rise above their economic situation within the borders of the city.