I was on the Gatwick Express on the way to the airport and I struck a conversation with this elderly lady. She was well traveled and as we talked about some of her experiences she mentioned she was off to so and so to go sailing. I then mentioned that I have been sailing with my father a couple of times. She proceeded to ask, where my dad kept his yacht. I was shocked. I never owned or planned on owning a yacht in my life, additionally I thought sailing was on a sail boat.

This interaction is very telling of the the social structures that still exist in London and England today. The upper class British have a distinct way of living and often portrayed as having little or no concern with those below them. While the class structure has become more fluid in the recent years there is still an elite group who are wealthier than the rest, like in most countries. Some say the remnants are still stronger in Britain, which can be  seen in political structures like the House of Lords. Regardless, I can’t believe she thought I owned a yacht…