What a Fitting Attraction for this Haunting Month

In the Bronx, Edgar Allen Poe owned a cottage about 160 years ago that has been under a $500,000 renovation. I wanted to let others know that it may be opening up again sometime soon, and I know I’ll be one of the first in line to visit. Perhaps by the 31st?

There’s always something very intriguing, yet spooky, about visiting the dwellings of major figures of the past, especially those owned by the author of “The Raven” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” When I pay a visit, I focus on two major aspects: the interior design and the owner’s history. Naturally, the design catches my attention for I take quite an interest in interior design, so seeing how taste and color choices have evolved is right up my alley. I believe that the curtains, woodgrain of the floor, rugs, and kitchen setup can say a lot about a person, granted it is my first job to find out whether an interior decorator was hired, because that would interrupt my conclusions.

This leads me right into the owner’s history factor. As I learn more about the owner of the house, I can start to see why they would have certain pieces of furniture in a certain room or why they preferred to have a desk in the living room as opposed to the study. Maybe the location of writing was preferred there? Maybe there was something in the study that annoyed the writer? Poe wrote two poems that we know of in this cottage: “The Bells” and “Annabel Lee,” and the article says more.

Of course, on a basic level, it’s always a joy to be able to say, “I walked on the same floor that Edgar Allen Poe walked on!” But that’s stooping to a level that I try not to amuse too much; quite déclassé in my opinion… Just kidding! Who doesn’t love that aspect?!

Want to learn more? Just click on the picture of Poe’s Cottage!

One thought on “What a Fitting Attraction for this Haunting Month

1. It can be very interesting to compare the austere and “normal” trappings of Poe’s household with the flamboyance of his imagination. did you visit?