Gamelan is the “Bomb”-elan!

After having the opportunity to play the instruments of the Gamelan Orchestra, I was able to appreciate the Gamelan Concert  on an entirely different level in LeFrak Hall on Monday, December 5. As a class, I think we can all agree that we didn’t have any idea this music form existed! Not only do these instruments sound different, but also they have a very unique design! The deep reds and golds make them look rich and ethnic, which adds to the experience of watching a performance. Another aspect that adds to the performance is the addition of dancers! The style of dancing is very basic, and the women dancing are dressed in dresses that have the same color scheme as the drums and xylophone-type instruments. However, when I write “basic,” I don’t mean to take away the unique style that it carries. Although the moves are basic, they require the dancers to twist and turn into positions that catch your eye but don’t take away from the instrumental performance.

I also want to touch on the sounds and styles of the music created with the Gamelan Orchestra. Today, and the day I got a chance to use the instruments, when I heard them individually, they were each pleasant and catchy on the ears. For example, the gongs resonated throughout the room and gave off a rich, deep “yong.” The slenthem is the Gamelan version of the xylophone, which I am familiar with. Having played the xylophone in the past, I know the notes are read like a piano. However, the slenthem is read in a whole other set of notes. Although it looks the same, it requires a little change in understanding. Also, after each strike, the musician must muffle the bar so the sound doesn’t ring on forever, because that would cause a big mess of noise. Speaking of noise, when all of the instruments are played together, it is easy to heard just a bunch of noise. The percussion instruments definitely overpowered the slenthem and others, unless the percussion wasn’t playing. This isn’t to say  I didn’t enjoy the Gamelan, I actually loved it! I played percussion in the past, so I appreciate the beats produced, but I also enjoy the balance of sounds in the traditional band. I would definitely consider taking a Gamelan class in the future!