MOMA Goodness, DeKooning had Quite the Transformation

From the beginning, I knew it was going to be a great MOMA trip for me when I read that DeKooning created his paintings as decor for interiors, because I’m always looking for a stylish piece of art to cover a wall! However, while it is true that I was interested in the interior design aspect, this also allowed me to appreciate DeKooning’s transformation from that time to his future as an artist  even more so, because it inspired me and my future as an artist of sorts.

The first thing I noticed when I walked into any room of his gallery is the color schemes that he used. Each painting had its own story going on just through color alone! Clearly, they had much more to offer, but the fact that the color had such an immediate effect sets the scene for the other elements perfectly. It also helped that I checked out the telephone-like device that speaks to you about the piece that you are viewing, because I was able to really analyze the piece as I looked at it, instead of reading and looking and reading and then looking again. A museum visit is a different experience with that device, and I recommend it! The only downfall is that it only touches on certain works, but I say enjoy it on the ones you’re able to!

I want to point out one of my favorite pieces: “Easter Monday.”  This is one of his pieces that refers to an urban landscape, which makes sense, given that he was living in the NYC. I read (well, listened actually) about how he wanted to portray the destruction of buildings and empty lots that he saw. I definitely saw it right after that lady’s voice told me! This is also a piece that was painted on newspapers to keep it wet, and when DeKooning came to work on it the next day, the newsprint showed through, and he loved how it looked! And so did I! If you look really closely at the picture I’ve provided, you can see it. It’s much more apparent in person at the gallery. Look closely at the bottom right of the painting! Enjoy!