Martin Boyce Wins Turner Prize!

Beating out sculptor Karla Black, Martin Boyce was awarded the Turner Prize for the entry of his piece, “Do Words Gave Voices.” Apparently, the piece is an interior space that he designed with geometric, aluminum leaves on trees all around a long desk. I’ll get back to the design in a moment, but I want to take this time to discuss the award itself. It’s a fairly new award; it was started in 1984 by the landscape artist, J.M.W. Turner, who it was clearly named after. I’ve been thinking about the meaning of this award. I’m sure it was created to encourage the innovation and creativity in the art world, but I’m wondering how they decide what is the most “creative.” I’m sure there are many requirements that need to be checked off as a work is analyzed, but this is often my problem with the analysis of art. It’s simply a matter of opinion. It’s just left up to the judges that are “experienced” in art to judge and make the final decision.

Now, I’d like to offer my two cents on his work of art as an interior designer to be (as if I’m as qualified as the prestigious set of  judges). First of all, I’d have to establish which area of art I’m critiquing; clearly, this contest is for modern artist with abstract creations. I appreciated his work from the picture that I was able to view online, but I wish I had more angles to see from. Judging from what I saw, it came off very clean and thought out. However, in judging such abstract art like this, I feel that the story behind it is almost more important than the actual art, because anyone can technically throw some geometric shapes in a room. I feel that when something is thought out and executed well abstractly, it deserves some recognition! In the art world however, an artist’s recognition should be awarded with money so that the artist can proceed in his work. The average starving artist still has to pay the bills in order to maintain the innovation for art’s future. So I say “Congratulations!” to Martin Boyce, and I’ll support his work to come… if I approve of course! Just kidding. Click on the picture to view the article!